“ This car ride is going faster than I would expect” – Jenna
“ You have been sleeping for two hours”- Filippo
It’s true, my hands have yet to touch the wheel but I have
been very helpful in setting up the GPS and picking out the next “This American
Life” story. This is our longest drive- 10. 5 hours. We arrived late in the
evening and went to work trying to figure how to get a campsite. We found that
all we had to do was drive to the site and see if they had open spots. Since
Jenny Lake was full we made our way to the least popular campsite- Gros Ventre.
As we were setting up camp, a neighbor dog came and visited. Soon after, we met
the neighbors. They were three men from Colorado on their way to the oldest
man’s family vacation in Jackson, according to the oldest man who awkwardly
came to our fire and sat down and started talking. The two other men worked for
him. Anyway they weren’t there the next day, which was a relief and Filippo was
no longer required to sleep with a knife.
We woke up early and took Bumble to Dog Jax. We were greeted
by the world’s friendliest dog lover. They had three areas for dogs where they
could go either inside or outside. Bumble had the time of her life!
Hiking: We decided to take the boat across the lake to save
some time on our long hike. Little did we know the first mile of the hike was
EXTREMELY popular … for the common folk. Like the competitive people I strive
for us to be, we raced the first mile up mountain and left the others in the
dust. When we finally had some land to ourselves, we stopped to take some
pictures and enjoy the scenery. When we reached our final destination, we
pulled out the small bag of dried fruit that Filippo had rationed us to because
of bears. I hope bears ate all the other people who were eating full lunches
because only that would justify the hunger I felt. On the way down we ran into
the flock of perfumed women and jeans wearing men AGAIN slowing down our
descent. A couple people even had the audacity to budge in line for the boat. I
pret-near said something to them but then reminded myself “holding a grudge is
like drinking poison and expecting other people to die.” (something I read in
my Real Simple Magazine on the way up that has really helped calm my senses).
Tent: THE NEW TENT IS AWESOME! We both have never slept so
great. The down comforter doesn’t hurt either. Both nights the temp dropped
below 30 and we slept like babies in a womb… who aren’t related… with a dog. Except
when I woke up convinced that a cat had gotten in and turned out the overhead
lantern. Filippo was startled and I was a little upset that he wasn’t equally
concerned about this cat. As we discussed this miscommunication on the way to
Yellowstone it became clear to me that I hadn’t communicated that this dream
was about a mean cat.


No comments:
Post a Comment