 |
| Life in a Tent with Filo and Bums |
 |
| Giant Cat |
Wilma, the ranger at Falling Leaf Campground told us about a
hike we just had to take as she was swiping our credit card. “I won’t swipe it
anymore or it’ll scratch, “ she said after three swipes. “Once a man did that
to me and it is the only time I have used that four-letter curse word. I had to
get money out of the atm and oh I told him.” We had learned Wilma’s ultimate pet peeve and about a really good dog friendly hike.
Packing up camp, we set out for Cascade Lake Falls. This was
about a four mile round trip hike. The best part of it was that dogs just had
to be under voice control. We kept Bumble on the leash until we realized how
loosely the term “voice control” was being used. When we got to the falls we
could see both Lake Tahoe and Cascade Lake- very beautiful.
 |
| Lake Tahoe |

The roads to Yosemite traveled along side mountain cliffs. I
gasped and screamed like I was on a run away rollercoaster. This was a pretty
dramatic drive for me even though I have yet to drive. I can’t say that any of
my behavior was helpful in getting us there safely but luckily Filippo is used
to driving on roads like these and was expectant and some would even say
encouraging of my fear.
We arrived
at Yosemite National Park around 5pm. The campground was packed with people,
RVs, and small houses. For the first time our fear of bears diminished, there
were much more vulnerable prey out there. We smelled meat cooking and lunch
boxes left on the tables as bait. After our neighbor reprimanded me for trying
to saw apart a dead branch, we went and purchased some firewood. In front of
the fire we enjoyed some cous-cous, our every other day meal.
Filippo had done some research and wanted to see a rainbow
at Lower Yosemite Falls. This was a flat hike on a paved trail so we were
allowed to bring Bumble Bear. The falls were loud refreshing and vacant. The solitude
and peaceful beauty was worth the fear of bears I felt on the walk back. If
peeing my pants and refusing to go any further would have made the hike back
faster, I would have done it.
 |
| Cascade Lake and Lake Tahoe in the background |
 |
| THE road |
No comments:
Post a Comment